Here's the exercises:
- Leg Press Machine 1 set of 20 reps immediately followed by
- Leg Extension Machine 1 set of 20 reps immediately followed by
- Barbell Squats 1 set of 20 reps then rest
Basically you do the leg presses until failure, stumble/crawl to the leg extension machine, then drag yourself to the squats. One cycle of this circuit is all that is needed and should take less than 5 minutes for the whole leg portion of your workout. Also, you should need at least 5 minutes to recover. If you can walk sooner, you haven't done it hard enough.
There are a few key points to this leg circuit:
- Less than 3 seconds rest between exercises. More than 3 seconds rest and you'll greatly diminish your results.
- Always use the reps as a guide but never stop until you've reached muscle failure.
- Do each rep smoothly and controlled with no bouncing and focus on slow transitions between the positive/negative portion of the rep.
After trying this leg workout cycle you'll appreciate the workout done by Casey Viator in 1971:
- Leg Press Machine, 750lbs for 20 reps immediately followed by
- Leg Extension Machine, 225lbs for 20 reps immediately followed by
- Full Barbell Squats, 502lbs for 13 reps.